How to Care Your Leather Jacket: A Step-by-Step Guide
A leather jacket is a remarkable and timeless garment preferred by people of almost all age groups. It continues to occupy a place in our wardrobes with models in different colors, textures and cuts that came to the fore in different periods.
In this article, we have compiled the tips for providing the best care for your leather jacket, which is perhaps the most precious part of your wardrobe.
Step 1: Clean Your Jacket Regularly
If you have a leather jacket, you definitely know that you should not do any ordinary cleaning. But how to clean a leather jacket? Cleaning your jacket is also effective in its longevity. By taking a look at our leather jacket cleaning tips, you can learn what you don't know about leather jacket care.
Things to consider for leather jacket maintenance:
· A soft brush or a microfiber cloth: First of all, we advise you to equip yourself with a soft brush or a microfiber cloth. This will first help you remove all the dust and other dirt that could have clinged to your jacket and which could become permanently embedded in it if they are not removed during this step.
· Products specially designed for leather: For the maintenance of your leather, certain products are to be preferred, while others are absolutely to be avoided. A cleaning product that is too abrasive or not suitable for cleaning leather could leave marks and irreversibly damage your coat. For any leather, the best solution is to invest in a product specially designed for leather and to follow the instructions for use indicated.
Step 2: Condition Your Jacket to Keep it Soft and Supple
To keep your leather jacket in good condition, there are a few simple tips to know.
But first, why do you have to condition the leather of your jacket? A leather jacket is hydrated because leather is a natural material that can stain, crack, dry out, crack or deform. In short, the leather can degrade.
Notice: Above all, do not wax your leather jacket. Polishes are not suitable for clothing but for shoes. It remains on the surface and may clog the pores of the leather.
To preserve the appearance and suppleness of smooth leather, use delicate creams or cleansing milks. There are different creams adapted to the type of leather of your jacket. Whatever the product, remember to do it twice a year, ideally at the start and end of the season.
How to condition a leather jacket?
· First, clean with a damp cloth and soapy water the areas that tend to grease, such as the collar.
· Then test the product on a hidden part to make sure the product is suitable for your jacket.
· Do not use shoe polish or grease.
· Pour small amounts of the product on the cotton.
· Apply in circular motions over the entire surface of the jacket. Change the cotton as soon as it gets dirty.
· After letting it dry, wipe the leather with a soft cloth.
This is how to condition a leather jacket at home without any trouble. Beware not to skip any step to have the best result.
Step 3: Protect Your Jacket from Water and Sun Damage
There are actually 3 enemies of a leather jacket. Water, sun and, for sure, time… Protecting a leather jacket from water and sun damage may not seem easy but it's indispensable. Extending the lifespan of a leather jacket can only be possible with maximum attention.
Let’s start with the water which is one of leather's worst enemies. Although it is relatively weather resistant, leather is a permeable material that absorbs liquids. The most common moisture-related problem is the appearance of stubborn stains.
Here are our tips:
· After each exposure to water, be sure to wipe the leather thoroughly with a cloth.
· Place it on a hanger in a room at room temperature.
· Avoid any source of heat such as hair dryer, radiator or, fireplace.
· Apply a special leather waterproofing agent.
Nothing like a beautiful sunny day. However, beware, your leather jacket will certainly not benefit as much. The heat causes moisture to build up in the leather's natural oils resulting in slow evaporation and ultimately a dry, stiff material. Intense UV rays can also discolor your leather. Limit your jacket's exposure to the sun as much as possible.
Leathers also mark shapes easily because they are heat sensitive. You should always dry and store your clothes on a hanger, in a cool, dry place, so that they keep their shape without marking the folds, but also to avoid the appearance of mold.
Leather, which is a natural material, can dry and crack over time. Your jacket may then peel. How to keep leather jacket from cracking then? To allow for maintenance and to prevent future cracks, we recommend moisturizing your leather jacket with leather jacket care products such as conditioner and store it in a cool and dry place.
Repair Any Damage Promptly
Even if you've taken care of your jacket, you should have your leather jacket professionally cleaned and repaired at least once a year or more, depending on how often you wear it. A professional leather cleaner will know exactly which cleaning process to use depending on the type of leather, color and style, as well as how to clean it. Repairing a leather jacket is not an action that can be done by everyone. Trusting an expert in this matter would be the best decision.
Proper Care Will Keep Your Leather Jacket Looking Great for Years
Keeping a leather jacket looking new is not that hard. By paying attention to our suggestions and using the suitable leather products, you can wear your jacket for many years and enjoy having a long-lasting and stylish garment.